Saturday, August 21, 2010

How much bug repellent I should take?

I am going to Ghana for 2 months and I don't know how much bug repellent to take. The most I can find is 6 oz but I don't feel like that will last.How much bug repellent I should take?
If you'll be in Accra, just buy more there. If you're going up country, bring a couple of bottles.How much bug repellent I should take?
Why do you need bug repellant. Do you use it in the US? Geez get a life it is not roaming with bugs.
Hi Kat,





I live in Ghana, so I can help with this (I hope). Most of the problems are mosquito born diseases, and right now, we are entering the rainy season which increases the mosquito population tremendously. That having been said, over here, the real problems begin at dusk and overnight.





If you dress appropriately, i.e., in long sleeved shirts and long pants, etc., you only have to worry about dowsing yourself with repellent at your ankles (and feet if you're in sandals), and maybe on your exposed arms. Our mosquitoes are so tiny that they mostly are at ground level, and they are easily blown away by ceiling fans.





So, as to your repellent, and I use Sawyer which I got from a sporting goods store in the US, I'd suggest maybe 2 bottles, and if you run out, you can buy a repellent here, though it won't be Sawyer or even Off, it will be a local brand made from the Neemh tree, smelly but effective.





Oh, just FYI, only female mosquitoes bite, and only a very small percentage of them carry disease like malaria. Since we've moved here over 3-1/2 years ago, only one time has any of us (and there are 5 of us) contracted malaria.





Hope this helps. Also feel free to look at tripadvisor forums for some more information.





Barb
  • facial
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment