Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Wasps in my car hood.. What natural wasp repellent to make them leave?

I've got a problem, there are like 3 small wasp nests in my car hood.. As I am a Buddhist, I'd rather not kill them if possible, so instead, I am looking for some kind of natural repellent that'll make them want to go away... Any advice??Wasps in my car hood.. What natural wasp repellent to make them leave?
Hahah! How did you manage to get 3 nests under the hood? Did you breed them there? Sorry, but there isn't a repellant. If you don't use a kill bomb, you are getting stung. If you were fast with a hose, you MIGHT get one nest knocked out, but 3? Try a fire extinguisher. Not a water one, or a foam one, but the refillable CO2 extinguisher. That might do it if you get someone to pop the hood one step and you shoot the CO2 under the hood before opening it all the way. If they are nested under the hood, they are coming after you as soon as you open it, and the cold CO2 may take care of them long enough for you to pop the nests out..Wasps in my car hood.. What natural wasp repellent to make them leave?
I've had good luck with smoking them out. I just started a wood fire in a little Smoky Joe bbq cooker and then snuffed it almost shut (made it smoke a lot)....then directed a piece of tubing from the smoker right into the area with the wasps. They had moved on in a few hours! (...and it didn't kill 'em).


Good Luck.....and watch 'em!
the only thing i can think of is a good, solid shot of water from your hose.





this may drown them, but it avoids the use of chemicals.





i understand your position, however, sometimes we have to protect ourselves and our belongings. don't want you to get stung.
That's a tough one.





Repelling them may work, but then there may be developing larvae inside the nests.





I had a huge nest of Vespula Maculata (paper wasps) removed and relocated years ago, but that required bee-keeper's equipment and quite a bit of tedious handling of a large, heavy nest about 1-1/2 times the size of a basketball.





If these are the little mushroom shaped paper nests, I'm not sure if they can be relocated (maybe break it off and super-glue it under the eaves of your house?)





I dislike killing things too, so I understand your predicament. If you can get past the destruction of the larvae, a garden hose will do the trick - just be sure to run away after you knock each nest down.
Stash some mothballs in there somewhere. They'll leave.
What I am unable to understand is why not kill them?

No comments:

Post a Comment