Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Anyone know of any mosquito repellent that's safe for babies?

My son in 2 and a half months old and he got a mosquito bite the other night and I was wondering if there are any safe mosquito repellents for him. For some reason, mosquitos are really bad right now (and it hasn't even been raining). I don't want him to get bit again because I'm afraid of diseases since he is so young.Anyone know of any mosquito repellent that's safe for babies?
We used Avon's Skin So Soft. We put a little on a tissue and safety pinned it to the inside of the baby's shirt. It cut back on a lot of them. We used the hand lotion back then and the oil. Avon has a lot of other Skin So Soft products now including bug spray. You can buy it online now too. They call it SSS now.Anyone know of any mosquito repellent that's safe for babies?
any kind that doesn't have DET in it is fine for babies.. Most will say on the back that you can spray on your hands and rub on to babies not to spray directly on to them..........
avoid repellents containing DEET. This is a powerful carcinogen that just happens to also repel mosquitos. People are getting skin cancer from this chemical.
I know skin so soft lotion is fine. That is what works best for us. Also most kid sprays (off brand etc.) will also be fine for babies.
Not too long ago I went on a trip with my baby girl, who by the time was too young to use mosquito repellent on her. I ask her Ped and he told me to spray on her vinegar - yes, plain vinegar like the one used for salads- diluted in a bit of water. Well, the smell isn't the greatest but I can tell you it worked. It actually worked so well that, at the end of day #1 hubby and I stopped using our mosquito repellent and used vinegar during the hole vk's. So it is worth a try, just apply it where the clothes don't cover and he'll be fine.
I heard that by simply putting a dryer sheet through a belt loop on attaching it somewhere to your clothes can repel mosquitoes. I haven't tried it though, but my friends have and say it works.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. best mosquito repellent

Post a Comment